“The name “Nikkormat" ? Oh, our version is, the name “Nikomat", sounds like “Ikomat" in Japan where it is a trade name of Zeiss Ikon, Germany. Thus, Nikon subsituted the name “Nikkormat" in some foreign countries to avoid problem of infringement of the trademark. Have you heard of the name “Nikkor" which engraved on Nikon F ? In fact, the name “Nikon" was once a legal claim from Zeiss Ikon that it is not supposed to be used on camera bodies, so the name “Nikkor" was used instead for some of the Nikon’s products in some countries in Europe during those early years.
> >OK, I know all the year of production of the all Nikkormat models (It was under a separate trade name, it was called the “Nikomat" in Japan), and some of the major differences outlined below in distinguishing these models.
> >Here are some of the short summary:
Nikomat F* — all of these have mechanical shutter, max 1/1000 and X sync is 1/125. where there are 5 variations exist:
> >Nikomat FS — no metering capability;
> >Nikomat FT — TTL average metering. The minimum F value. is set by hand;
> >Nikomat FTn — TTL center weighted metering, minimum F no. is automatically set by some manual setting like the aperture ring must be fully rotated at once;
> >Nikomat FT2 — It has a hot accessory shoe on the pentagonal prism.
> >Nikomat FT3 — (AI) i.e. the minimum F value is set by Automatic Indexing.
> >Nikomat EL* — Incorporating a electoronic shutter, and these models have aperture-prioritied auto exposure (AE). All EL series have a hot shoe and improved (long-life) potentiometer (variable register) named “FRE". There are a total of 3 variations of the EL models, namely:
> >Nikomat EL — First Nikon body that came with a electronic shutter and AE;
> >Nikomat ELW — Permit the use of a winder;
> >Nikomat EL2 — Its aperture ring is linked by AI method. Metering sensor was replaced by SPD (Silicon Photo Diode) with CdS.
The Year of Production for all these models are:
- FS 1965/7
- FT 1965/7
- FTn 1967/10
- FT2 1975/3
- FT3 1977/3
這部機械式相機跟專業機 Nikon F、 F2 算姐妹機, 除了視野率跟附件少一點, 可靠度與功能完全不比大 F 系列專業機差到哪 ~ 也是後來廣受好評的 FM, FM2, FM3 的先祖 ~
我這部是 FTn, 老爸買的, 已使用超過 35 年 當年入門攝影, 在學校社團、打工拍照, 全都是用這部相機 ~ 目前除了測光反應稍微慢一點 (仍在正常範圍), 運作完全正常 !
快門撥桿在鏡頭接環後面, 實用上比起後來新機種設計全改到快門釋放鈕旁, 個人覺得好用多了 ! 對焦、光圈、快門、反光鏡鎖定用左手指一起搞定, 棒 !
而且縮光圈用的景深鈕放在快門釋放鈕旁, 也比現在多半改到接環旁而要用右手中指去按, 更符合拍照需要 …
另外, 捲片的手感、底片計數器、回片桿質感、回片桿旁的測光表視窗、快門聲音、反光鏡鎖定 (專業機才有的功能), 都是這部相機無可取代的特點 ~
Major features of the Nikkormat FTN include:
- 92% of the actual picture field
- Sturdy mechanical metal focal plane shutter that travelled vertically that works without any battery.
- The most significant change from the FT mode of exposure reading (Nikkormat FT employed with full screen average meter reading) was at the way how the camera performs the metering. FTN’s built-in center-weighted through-the-lens exposure meter, it was the first Nikkormat that uses the 60/40 metering distribution. The center-weighted (heavy-centered) metering, where sixty percent of the metering is read in the viewfinder’s 12 mm center circle, and the remaining 40% is determined by the rest of the viewfinder area. Meter needle visible in the finder viewfield and atop the body. It employed with a CdS exposure meter powered which by a 1.3V mercury battery. Battery requires only for metering.
- Range of metering: EV3 – EV17 at ASA 100 (e.g. f/1.4, 1/4 sec.- f/11, 1/1000 sec.).
- ASA sensitivity setting: 12 – 1600.
- Maximum aperture setting: f/1.2 – f/5.6.
- Meter diaphragm coupling: f/1.2 – f/32. Couples with both diaphragm and shutter speed dial
- Single-stroke film advance lever (135°, throw angle 26°) also serves as on-off switch of the meter.
- Synchronization: X and M synch terminals. X synch at 1/125 sec. or slower. FP- and MF-class bulbs also usable.
- Depth-of-field preview control
- Independent mirror lock-up
- The selected shutter speed is visible in the viewfinder.
- An exposure needle (surrounded by brackets) in the viewfinder moves toward the corresponding “+" or “-" symbol to indicate whether the photographer should increase or decrease exposure.
- The camera automatically recognizes the maximum aperture of the lens in use. Initial ASA/ISO film speed setup is thus much simplified.
Nikon F2 Photomic (with DP-1) :
當年 (1988 左右) 在學校拍了一陣子, 存了好幾年的零用錢升級了 Nikon F3, 後來又加上連拍馬達 MD4, 也成了打工的好幫手 …
買這部是最近幾年的事, 單純為了把 Nikomat FTn 跟 F3 的歷史落差補起來, 算無聊的動作 … (F3 後來也升級成 F3HP 了)
從美國過鹹水入手之後的體會, 難怪 F2 被稱為 Nikon 機械機之王 ... 快門速度直上 1/2000 秒, 可針對需要變更測光頭、底片盒、連拍馬達、對焦屏、…… 跟 F3 之間的血統傳承, 不言可喻 ! 看下圖, 像不像變形金剛 ……
這個 DP-1 測光頭跟 FTn 的測光電子元件都是 Cds, 一樣有老化的問題 ~ 雖然也可改掛 DP-12 測光頭 (已經不用 Cds 沒老化的問題), 但這顆頭貴三三, 而且造型也失去大 F 的味道 ~
目前 DP-1 的反應跟 FTn 一樣稍微慢了點, 不過怕哪天真的掛掉, 所以外掛了 V 牌的小型測光錶做雙重確認, 造型上也挺搭的 ~